The Strength of Hearts

4:12 AM








Hello, dear reader.

Wherever you are or whoever you may be, or whatever you may be feeling at the moment, my heart goes out to you. In these worrying times I hope you find peace and light. 

----
I know things have changed so much recently in what seemed like a fast transition, like a snap of a finger or a lever that has been pulled; the changes had been surreal.

I feel anxious at most but I'm rather more predisposed to feeling a tad bit hopeful. So much had shaken me enough to rouse me from my sleep, anxious and troubled at what the present is and what the future may become.

But with shaking resolve, I try to pick myself up every time I wake. Being grateful is the start of my day and then off I go to do household chores and cook our food. I've been much more of a help around the house recently and I can say that at least I've improved with the cleaning aspect. My cooking, I can say but humbly so, is quite satisfactory. Day by day, night by night, I choose to set a certain sort of routine for myself.

Chores, work, down time, reflections.

They go on and on each time that these had already become a set of things to do. The monotony of things had somewhat calmed me into a mindset that things will be in order once again.

The kind of order that I hope, would mean that we will give order to our lives with the lives of other beings in mind and purpose.

For years, I've tried to figure out ways to give attention to nature's needs. We have been so focused on ourselves that we have forgotten that we share this world with other beings. I've said it before and will say it again. 'In order to live peacefully in this world, we must learn how to respect every being and learn to protect them.' And it is not just a leisurely thing to do, respect. It is our duty to do so. Sharing something with others require respect and empathy and I feel that we should follow this more often.

In light of these thoughts, this year, I've decided to dedicate illustrations and stories that focus more on flora and fauna. Well to be quite honest I have always done creations with these as the subjects but this time, it's about the ones that are endangered and vulnerable.

Following the research of IUCN and of Joel Sartore and National Geographic's 'Photo Ark', I begin illustrating various species of fauna. My hope is that by illustrating them and giving them stories, they may be given attention and care, to bring awareness to the threat that these beings face. But most of all, I yearn for others to form connections with them, empathising with their circumstances and to marvel at their diversity and wonderful qualities. I've been awestruck at the diversity of the creatures that we share this world with. My heart races just at the sight of their striking eyes, of the way they conduct themselves, of how they thrive no matter what.

Climate change and human activities have affected them so much but they try so much to adapt and to continue living.

In a way, do they not remind us of ourselves? That in the face of adversity, we still try to pick ourselves up and move on? How each and every one of us tries to be strong for another? It is the same with how a mother orangutan tries to find another place to raise her young because the jungles and forests they call home have been cut down to half its size, how migratory birds still yearn for the same sanctuaries they seek, how some would be willing to partake of what is left for them to have.

We are not far from them nor they to us.

The coronavirus 2019 pandemic had brought not just solidarity and understanding, but strength with which we share in equal measure with these beings.

They may not talk in the same language as ours, but we do have one thing in common and that is the strength to keep on no matter what.

Wherever you are, I hope you will always have strength. I promise I'd do the same. It's hard, but let's keep on keeping on.

Much love and encouragement,
Mariel

-----
I will be sharing them through this art blog, my Instagram, Twitter and other social media sites.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe